Elizabeth Wieters is a Partner in our Charleston, South Carolina office. She focuses her practice on construction litigation and insurance law. Elizabeth represents general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, owners, sureties, and design professionals in the context of construction litigation. She has been involved in all phases of resolving construction conflicts, from pre-suit payment dispute workouts to multiparty, complex construction defect litigation. Elizabeth also represents insurance carriers as their coverage counsel and defends insurance carriers in coverage disputes.
Elizabeth has been practicing law in the Lowcountry over a decade. Prior to joining HBS, she served as law clerk to the Honorable Steven H. John in the Fifteenth Judicial Circuit of South Carolina and as an intern to the Honorable David C. Norton in United States District Court for the District of South Carolina.
Originally from Greenville, SC, Elizabeth attended The University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee, where she earned a B.A. in Political Science. She received her J.D. from the Charleston School of Law in 2009. While in law school, she served as the Articles Editor for Federal Courts Law Review and as the Development Editor for MALABU, the Maritime Law Bulletin.
- South Carolina, 2009
- J.D., Charleston School of Law, 2009
- B.A., Political Science, The University of the South, 2004
- Atlanta Surety Claims Association
- Charleston County Bar Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association
- Legal Elite, Charleston Business Magazine, 2020-2022
- South Carolina Court of Appeals Gives Insurance Company a Reprieve when Complying with a Time-Demand
HBS National Insurance Coverage Blog; July 7, 2023
- Fourth Circuit Says Lack of Time to Investigate a Claim Can Create an Objectively Reasonable Basis for an Insurer to Refuse a Settlement Demand
HBS National Insurance Coverage Blog; June 28, 2021