HBS offers comprehensive services for health care professionals, facilities, and insurers across the continuum of care so they can do what they do best — care for patients.
The practice of medicine is guided not only by science but also by subjectivity. Opinions, experience, and instinct often come into play when care providers make key medical decisions. This subjectivity is capable of producing practice standards that are broad and diverse and can also be problematic in the litigation arena when medical treatment yields less than optimal results. Through their extensive experience and training, knowledge of medicine, and access to top medical experts, the attorneys at Hall Booth Smith provide the highest quality representation to medical providers before, during, and after litigation.
Since the inception of the firm, a significant portion of Hall Booth Smith’s practice has been the defense of professionals in medical malpractice lawsuits. HBS attorneys have substantial experience counseling and representing professionals in all areas of patient care. Members of the firm have successfully defended doctors, nurses, physician practice groups, hospital entities, health care systems, long-term care facilities, and managed care organizations from a variety of claims, including negligent care and treatment, negligent misdiagnosis, negligent referral, lack of consent, personal injury, gross negligence, and wrongful death.
Our attorneys have significant experience in handling jury trials, arbitrations, and mediations for all types of medical providers. Additionally, our practice goes well beyond defending claims and lawsuits; we also provide legal analysis and counseling regarding credentialing, negligent retention, and risk management. Our attorneys offer you help in and out of the courtroom, and we are dedicated to surpassing our clients’ expectations in providing the highest quality legal representation tailored to each client’s individual needs and unique circumstances.
For more than twenty years, HBS attorneys have been involved in the representation of professionals in a variety of medical fields, including:
- Acute care centers
- Ambulance services
- Assisted living facilities
- Agency nurses
- Blood banks
- Home health services
- Hospitals and health systems
- Long-term acute care facilities
- Long-term care facilities
- Managed care organizations
- Outpatient surgery centers
- Pharmacists and pharmacies
- Physicians and physician practice groups
The HBS medical malpractice defense team provides a complete array of services to our clients including:
- Defending medical malpractice lawsuits from the first notice of the claim through the trial
- Representing clients at mediation
- Investigating claims
- Reaching successful settlements
- Performing mock trials for jury feedback and analysis
- Providing legal analysis and counseling
- Speaking and serving as panelists at industry related events and conferences
- Making presentations to medical committees, hospital administrations, or hospital employees
- Reviewing policies and procedures
- Representing licensed professionals before their respective licensing boards
- Advising professional health care providers on ways to minimize risk and exposure in their practice
- Assisting clients in adopting safe practices for medical facilities
- Lobbying for clients on laws impacting the medical field and medical providers